In April, I made a concerted effort to actually follow the TBR I set out for myself at the start of the month. Let’s see how I did, shall we?
- Part 3 of The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky. Nailed it! I’m reading this for my classics book club, and the group is really not feeling it. Fortunately there’s only Part 4 left, and then we can move on.
- The Rogue Not Taken by Sarah MacLean. Read it and really, really, REALLY disliked it. Check out my review here to find out why.
- All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders. Read it and really, realy liked it. My review is here.
- My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante. Dear Elena Ferrante, I just met you, but I love you so hard. See me gush here.
- Bitch Planet, Volume 1 by Kelly Sue DeConnick. Described as “Orange is the New Black meets The Handmaid’s Tale.” It was certainly that, but sadly, not much more. My thoughts are here.
- We Should All Be Feminists by Chimimanda Ngozi Adichie. I am not sure I’ll write a review because it would basically consist of “Yep, what she said.”
I finished two additional books this month:
- Talk Sweetly to Me by Courtney Milan. A fun little romance novella that was a great end to my beloved Brothers Sinister series. Plus it counteded for a Read Harder challenge! Here’s a review.
- Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon. I feel like I’ve been listening to this second book in the Outlander series forever, but I finally got some momentum and finished it. Just in time to catch up with Season 2! Review to follow.
So that just leaves just two books on my April TBR that I didn’t finish:
Men Explain Things to Me by Rebecca Solnit.I read maybe half the essays and just wasn’t feeling it. I’ll probably come back to it later. Radiance by Catherynne Valente.I tried and it just wasn’t working for me. Not gonna DNF it yet, but it’s been pushed way, way down the TBR.
I think setting on my intentions with the monthly TBR worked pretty well. Seven books finished, two Read Harder challenges crossed off the list, and some really good reading. All in all, not a bad month!