Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Check it out!
This week’s theme? “Ten Books That Will Make You Laugh (or at least chuckle).” Without further ado…
10. Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell. Because Sarah Vowell is a hilarious, history loving nerd: “But when I am around strangers, I turn into a conversational Mount St. Helens. I’m dormant, dormant, quiet, quiet, old-guy loners build log cabins on the slopes of my silence and then, boom, it’s 1980. Once I erupt, they’ll be wiping my verbal ashes off their windshields as far away as North Dakota.”
9. Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris. Because “I find it ridiculous to assign a gender to an inanimate object incapable of disrobing and making an occasional fool of itself. Why refer to lady crack pipe or good sir dishrag when these things could never live up to all that their sex implied?”
8. Yes Please by Amy Poehler (specifically the audiobook). If only because the section when Mike Schur and Amy Poehler reads alternate names for Leslie Knope made me giggle uncontrollably on my drive to work one morning.
7. Saga, Volume 4 by Brian K. Vaughan/Fiona Staples. Because there is a visual in this volume that is perhaps the funniest thing I’ll read all year. I won’t spoil it, but it has to do with King Robot and it is AMAZING.
6. Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. Because: Q: “You’re Hell’s Angels, then? What chapter are you from?” A: REVELATIONS. CHAPTER SIX.”
5. Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ’s Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore. Because, if for no any reason, that subtitle is amazing. Also, I am apparently into blasphemous comedic novels.
4. A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. Because “Hunters will tell you that a moose is a wily and ferocious forest creature. Nonsense. A moose is a cow drawn by a three-year-old.”
3. Sex Criminals by Matt Fraction/Chip Zdarsky. Because sex is funny.
2. Hark! A Vagrant by Kate Beaton. Because:
1. Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosch. Because dogs and depression are hilarious.